Friday 24 November 2006

The story so far - Part I

In late 1999 I was playing volleyball, dived, and landed on the point of my shoulder. This caused a rather nasty case of pins and needles in my right arm that a GP assured me was just a pinched nerve and some muscle damage. Armed with this knowledge and the invincibility only available to teenagers, I went on to play touch footy a week later and, of course, dived for a try in the corner. Not only was the try disallowed (one eyed ref) but I developed hiccups in the pub later that night.
Now, being a bit of a drinker a case of hiccups in the pub was not much of an irregularity and only rated as a minor annoyance. Until they continued through to the next day. And the day after that.
Now, I was doing a good job of ignoring the problem but my work mates had no such luck. After two days of constant hiccuping one of the guys marched me off to his chriopractor to help me with the pinched nerve causing my hiccups. The guy did a few manipulations, gave me some exercises and sent me home without actually helping much. In the meantime, the hiccups continued.
That weekend, another mate also got sick of my hiccups and took me to another doctor. This doctor stuck a needle in me a few times, blew up when I told him I'd been to a chriproactor who hadn't x-rayed me, told me I may have a broken neck and rushed me off to the hospital for an x-ray.
To be continued...

No comments: