Wednesday 17 February 2010

Ups and Downs

It's been an interesting few days, with plenty of ups and downs. For starters, my wound wasn't healing well and ended up inflamed and leaking some pus, which means I've been on antibiotics and still need a dressing on my wound. It looks a lot healthier than when this happened after my last op though, and my GP seemed happy with it when I saw him today so I'm not too worried.
Over the weekend, while messing around to try and see how much sensation I'd lost in my left hand I did a comparison to my right hand. Given that I've had sensation problems (pins and needles, numbness, lack of temperature sensation) with my right hand for about 10 years now, I was surprised that it felt pretty close to normal. For ages I had had an uncomortable feeling similar to pins and needles whenever touching anything with that hand but now, it was gone. I think it's slightly numb, but I can definitely feel things, and am not experiencing discomfort doing it. This is really good thing. If I can just get the movement and some strength back I'm hopeful that it can one day be my dominant hand again.
This was tempered by my return to work on Monday. In retrospect, going into the office 2 weeks after my op wasn't the best of ideas. After working half a day my back and neck were a twisted, screaming knot of muscle. I barely slept through the night s every time I moved something tugged in my back and woke me. A day of rest with some hotpacks helped a fair bi though, and I'm going to ease back into it and work from home as much as possible for the next few weeks.
I also managed to walk a bit over 2 kilometres today. Given that a week ago I needed to rest for 15 minutes after walking 500 metres or so, I think it's a pretty good sign my fitness is coming back. Also, my dizzy spells aren't occuring as often or with the same intensity so I'd have to say that overall things are going pretty well at the moment.

No comments: