Wednesday 8 September 2010

What do you want?

One thing I neglected in yesterday's post was a question the doctor asked me which I struggled to answer. The question was "What do you want to get out of this?"
I found it hard to answer beyond a nebulous "for my hand to work better". After some fumbling, I expanded to "for my fingers not to be so clawed". On further contemplation (I've spent a lot of time travelling over the past day), I thought of another question the second doctor asked: "Do you have trouble dressing?" Considering the two together, I realised that my trouble answering the first question lay in that I was considering what changes I wanted to my hand, rather than the changes I wanted to the functions I can perform with it.
So, with this in mind, here's my current list of things I'd like to be able to do well/better/again (in decreasing order of importance):
  • Pull things out of my pocket
  • Button a shirt (including the top button)
  • Open a door
  • Touch Type
  • Shake hands
  • Carry a coffee/mug
  • Tie shoe laces
  • Carry 3 schooners
  • Hold a pen

No comments: