Friday 19 November 2010

Hand-some

On Tuesday I went back to hand surgeon. Last time I saw him he was concerned with the variability of my symptoms (I'd just lost and recovered strength in my right tricep), so he had asked me to come back several months later. My arm has stabilised, and it appears that I've had a slight increase in the strength in my fingers. My right wrist is still shot though, with the extensor overactive and the flexor barely working. As such, the surgeon recommended that I have an operation to transfer the tendon from my brachio-radialis to the flexor carpi radialis. This would hopefully stabilise my wrist and let me get more use from my hand.
We talked about the risk involved, particularly around further degeneration of my symptoms. There's little risk of making things worse, as the brachio-radialis isn't used much (I use my biceps for most elbow flexion), and my extensors don't do a lot as it is. Normally the anaesthetist would do a nerve block for this style of operation, but as there's a slight risk of nerve damage from this they'd look to a combination of local and general anaesthetic instead.
I would have to wear a cast for 6 weeks (which precludes driving), and then undergo occupational therapy for about a year, so now I need to talk to the insurance company and my work to get things rolling. Hopefully I can have an operation sometime next year in late February or early March.
I'd really like if this helped me improve doing a few standard things like pulling my phone out of my pocket and doing up buttons, but my ideal situation would be that it lets me get back to playing touch footy with my mates - I played for years with dud fingers, so I'm pretty confident that if my wrist improves I'll be able to catch, pass and pick a ball up well enough to play.

No comments: